Now that the base and ends are done all that's left is the eyebolt, spacer, two binding posts and the drive pulley. Before I did the machining to these parts I painted the two ends and base with Rustoleum texture dark green paint. I like it and paint most of my engines using this paint. It have a very fine sand like finish to it. Then I started with the eyebolt and spacer which is striaght forward. The pulley was done next cutting a slight bevel down from the center and finished it up with a file and fine emery cloth. A couple of friends who are steam engine collectors talked me into building a couple of more dynamos for them. I bought 2 kits so that would leave me 3 more to machine over the Winter. Since there are 2 binding posts for each dynamo a total of 8 pieces would be needed. I decided to make a profile tool to turn them on my lathe. I used a piece of tool steel and ground the profile of the binding post into it. This is the first time I tried something like this. I gave it a little relief on the underside and gave it a try. I worked like a charm. I made all eight of them including the drilling and tapping in less than 1 hour. A job that I thought I would hate was real fun to do. It took me less than ten minutes to make the tool but saved much time in the long run. They came out slightly larger than what was called for but I'm happy with them. This completes all the machining to make the dynamo. Now for the best part!
I started the assembly by following the excellent instructions given by PM Research. Shown in the picture is the magnets being held in place with a spring clip. The first step involved putting in the eyebolt and the aluminum spacer for the magnets. The armature was checked by installing both ends, but no brushes. Everything fit like a glove. I disassembled it and then followed PM's assembly manual to complete my dynamo. I then fastened the brushes to the brush end casting as shown on PM's Assembly drawings. I mounted the brush assembly to the main frame casting. The binding posts must be vertical or the unit will NOT work properly. The armature was the carefully inserted into the frame. You must be careful and lift the brushes. The shaft end cap was then screwed in place. All that's left to do is to install the drive pulley on the end of the shaft. Knowing a little about motors I decided to "break it in" by running it with 7.2 volt nicad pack from one of my model boats. I made sure I ran it the same direction as I planned to use it. That way the brushes would be worn in the direction that it would be used for generaton. It probably doesn't make much difference but it sure makes me feel like I'm getting the most out of it having broken it in first.
PM did a great job on their Dynamo Kit. The price is right at only $45.00. Thanks PM
Time for these steps 3- 1/2 hrs
Total Time 8-1/2 hours
Included were 6 additional binding posts